Friday 8 April 2011

Planned Parenthood


Planned Parenthood
1. If the federal government shuts down over a budget policy rider that insists on defunding Planned Parenthood – that will not be due to the Tea Party. The Tea Party has been called “far-right," “extreme,” etc. , etc.  But the Tea Party has not made any big issue of social policy. This fight is traditional Republican fare. Still, lazy, or ill-informed, or propogandist analysts will blame the Tea Party. They're turning the Tea Party into the big, bad, ugly monster responsible for anything they hate.
2. Regarding abortion and the one week funding measure the House passed yesterday. The policy rider attached to a funding proposal to keep the government in business for another week calls for defunding state-supported abortions in Washington DC. I don’t know why Republicans insist on forcing this into a proposal to keep the government open.
But I also don’t know why Democrats would oppose this rider. Harry Reid has personally voted for this same measure ten times since 1996. Forty-nine other Democratic senators voted for the same proposal in 2009 – including President Obama. How is it that this idea is now going to shutdown the government?
3. By the way – I want Planned Parenthood shut down. I don’t want any federal – or state money for that matter – going to fund abortions. But I don’t want to shut the government down over this issue today. I’m happy to have that fight with liberals any day – as an issue standing on its own. That’s how confident I am that I’m right on that issue.  But it doesn’t need to be jammed into this budget proposal.
4. Listen to this analysis by Donnie Deutsch on Morning Joe (3:50 mark) as to why Bravo’s Watch What Happens Live is one of the top rated shows on cable. I think he’s exactly right.  (Can’t believe that WWHL beats Conan!)
5. I just can’t wrap my mind around why many people from the Northeast insist (can’t help?) putting a “r” on the end of words that should end in “a”. I noticed it again last night when Jill Zarin on The Real Housewives of New York said “Romana-r”. Chuck Schumer does this too. Help me understand why.
Sources: http://inthearena.blogs.cnn.com

Share/Bookmark